Monday, August 9, 2010

10 Years in the Making

“Music can help you draw closer to your Heavenly Father. It can be used to educate, edify, inspire, and unite." -Thomas S. Monson

Thomas S. Monson said it perfectly. We have been so blessed with the opportunity to witness this in the lives of teenagers (and adults) for 10 summers now. When we started Mountains & Strings, we were young, inexperienced, and full of hopes and dreams. We would meet together with Brian and Natalie Ashton, and Mindy Hillman and get so excited at the thought of what we could create for young musicians. It may sound cheesy, but we truly did want young students have an experience of a lifetime. An unforgettable one. And, the first year was, for sure. And, every year since. Despite the hours of hard work and very minimal monetary pay-back, it continues to be the highlight of our year. 

This was our first year. Try to find us. (No making fun!)



Although many of the details have changed since that first year, there are a few important elements that, despite the many challenges, made that year and each succeeding year, successful. The atmosphere is one of learning, unity, friendship, beauty, and of course, wonderful music.

Rather than try to write a book about everything we did and bore you all to death, I will just post some pictures and a few brief descriptions. What's that saying? "A picture is worth a thousand words." 

So, here is a glimpse of our lives from July 5 - 17th, 2010:

James climbed into bed with us early Monday morning and started barfing. Great start to the music camp, wouldn't you say? He spent most of Monday in bed, but seemed to be fine by Monday evening. Most of our kids and a few others got this same bug throughout the first week of music camp, but luckily it didn't stick with anyone for too long. And luckily, Richard and I managed to escape it. Phew! (And, I think I had my camera on a weird setting which is why these first two pictures are strange looking.)


This photo was taken by Jenni Warner. I will be posting a few of hers since they turned out fabulous! Thanks, Jenni. I love this shot of William.


Richard with our viola coach, Jon Hillman



Celebrating Misha's birthday. (Eric & Lida's son)

Emma Rubinstein coaching a quartet during a master class.


This was the first year we took the students horseback riding.




I have to give William credit for finding this cool bug. We met lots of interesting bugs at Harriman. 



Eric Grossman performing with his wife, Lida, at the piano.


Some orphan kid we found on the street. Wait...










Another shot by Jenni. This was Sarah pretty much the entire two weeks. No shoes and dirty! But, she was in heaven!






Skit night. The leaders always come up with the coolest skits, as you can see from the picture below...Hmmmmm


One of the skits involved pouring water down Richard's pant leg. This was just after the skit. James wanted to see what everyone was laughing about so he ran up and looked at Richard's pants just as everyone had quieted down. He pointed at Richard's pants and yelled out, "Haaa Haaa!" It was pretty hilarious. Maybe you had to be there....
















This tradition of running out to the island was started by two young men in 2005. The students have held on to this tradition ever since. This night was particularly cold. I didn't think they would do it, but they proved me wrong!


Week 2 will be in the next post. I know what you are thinking..."You mean, all this was only one week???" I know. I have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment